Can You Build Muscle While On A Raw Food Diet?
Here’s the key to help you gain weight and build muscle, while preventing weight loss, on a raw food diet …
Eat lots of good calories!
Weight loss boils down to burning more calories than you’re consuming .
It’s in general a bit tougher to get in lots of calories eating raw foods compared to processed foods that are packed with tons of calories and little sustenance. But it can be done .
With that in mind, here are a few pieces of advise to maintain your weight while eating raw foods:
- Increase your intake of calorie-rich whole foods such as nuts, seeds, avocados, and coconuts. These foods are generally higher calories because of their “good” fat content. My favourite foods in this category include cashews, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, avocados, and coconuts.
- Try preparing a smoothie after your workout or training session . Smoothies are a great way to get tons of nutrition and easy to digest calories.
- Strength training workouts are key! It’s a common myth that too many individuals think they can maintain a healthy weight without building muscle mass . You need to strength training at least 3 days a week to keep your muscles strong and to prevent your body from wasting away. This is especially true for the ectomorphs in the crowd.
Based on these recommendations you would think that your diet would become a high fat diet, wouldn’t you?
Well, what’s the problem with that? Especially for someone whose already fairly slim ?
You need to remember that as humans need healthy fats for a number of reasons which include:
- improving cardiovascular health
- building strong bones
- improving lung function
- better liver health
- maintaining a healthy brain and nervous system, and
- strengthening your immune system
If these sound counter-intuitive to what you’ve been taught then that’s great.
It’s the truth – fats are requirement for our health and for your ability to maintain a healthy weight .